IT’S HURRICANE SEASON, AND ESPECIALLY IF YOUR HOME OR BUSINESS IS IN A COASTAL AREA, KEEP THESE TIPS IN MIND TO PREPARE FOR A STORM THAT MAY BRING DAMAGING WIND, RAIN AND FLOODING:
- Trim or remove damaged trees and limbs to keep you and your property safe.
- Secure loose rain gutters and downspouts and clear any clogged areas or debris to prevent water damage to your property.
- Purchase a portable generator or install a generator for use during power outages. Remember to keep generators and other alternate power/heat sources outside, at least 20 feet away from windows and doors and protected from moisture; and NEVER try to power the house wiring by plugging a generator into a wall outlet.
FOR MORE INFORMATION, VISIT: HTTPS://WWW.READY.GOV/HURRICANES
IF A HURRICANE OR TROPICAL STORM HAS HIT YOUR AREA, BEFORE YOU GO INTO YOUR HOME OR BUSINESS:
- Walk carefully around the outside and check for loose power lines, gas leaks and structural damage. If you have any doubts about safety, have your residence inspected by a qualified building inspector or structural engineer before entering.
- Keep a battery-powered radio with you so you can listen for emergency updates and news reports.
- Use a battery-powered flashlight to inspect a damaged home.
Note: The flashlight should be turned on outside before entering – the battery may produce a spark that could ignite leaking gas, if present.
- As you return home, watch for fallen objects, downed electrical wires and weakened walls, bridges, roads and sidewalks.
DO NOT ENTER IF:
- You smell gas.
- Floodwaters remain around the building.
- Your home was damaged by fire and the authorities have not declared it safe.
TO READ MORE ABOUT HURRICANE RECOVERY, VISIT:
If your home or business has suffered damage in a storm, contact SMW. We will:
- Meet with you immediately to analyze and help you understand your insurance policy, and what happens next
- Be onsite immediately to carefully survey the damage and work with professionals to make sure no further damage occurs (which may be required by your policy)
- Meticulously detail and inventory everything in your home or business
- Manage every detail – from where you’ll stay tonight to complex business interruption issues to working with remediation contractors – to obtain the best possible settlement – and let you get back to your life and work